Friday, April 29, 2011

FMS, CFS, CMP, IBS... OMG, FML!

After corresponding with my rheumy (rheumatologist) for a couple days, he added two more diagnoses that often occur in conjunction with Fibromyalgia.  Here's a quick list, which for some reason (given the title of this post), I find hilarious.

FMS: FibroMyalgia Syndrome
CFS: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
CMP: Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrom

Hah!  It actually makes sense, and reinforces the fact that I'm not crazy.  I'm just glad I have a team of doctors on my side that believe in these diseases. It's both disheartening and sickening to me that there are docs out there that don't believe in these disease.  To them I say, LIMP A MILE IN MY SHOES, YOU MORONS.

I digress.  Everybody has a cross to bear, and if this is mine, I shall bear it with pride and dignity, and hopefully do some good along the way.


IBS, as you probably know, is Irritable Bowel Syndrome.  I've had it all my life, though it was officially diagnosed in 2000.  The pain meds I'm on have actually helped my IBS tremendously.  Instead of bothering me everyday, it only bothers me once in a while, and only seems to flare badly once a month or so. But when it does, it's debilitating.  Hate it when it happens at work.  Talking about draining.... :)

I'm exhausted and foggy and on pain meds.  Science lesson on CMP to come later.  Basically, the fascia is between your skin and muscle, and is a kind of connective tissue.  If I remember my A&P right, it's also through your muscles, too.  Imagine it constantly locking up, adhering to your muscles and other tissues, not having room to move, so keeping your muscles in a contracted state.  Then imagine some of those adhesions suddenly breaking loose as you're put on the floor by burning, shooting pain.

Imagine being aware of every muscle fiber of every muscle in your body every day of your life, as well as all of the fascia everywhere in your body, and you start to get an idea of the mental aspect of this disease.  You begin to understand how much willpower it takes to focus on everyday tasks and interactions with other people when so much attention is being robbed as this disease chips away at your psyche.

But I do try to stay positive.  Everybody has a cross to bear, and if this is mine, then damn it, I'll bear it, and I'll bear it with pride and dignity, and hopefully, I can do some good with it, like a man did a long time ago.  Seems folks are still talking about him today.  Good inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment