Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step -- or in my case, a limp.

Perhaps it's fitting that my first blog post here should be on a day when I had to leave work early because of a massive pain flare, accompanied by a massive, painful IBS flare.  One of the goals of this blog will be to share anecdotal knowledge of what it's like to live with fibromyalgia, as well as factual knowledge of what we know about the disease.



One thing we know is that many other diseases and disorders are found to exist concurrently with fibro.  One of them is IBS.

Another is cognitive dysfunction, lovingly known in the fibro community as "fibro fog."  Which probably explains why I'm rambling now.

I'm starting this blog for many reasons.  For one, I miss writing.  I used to write nearly every day on Xanga, back when Xanga was a serious blog site -- before it was taken over by hipsters, tweens, and angst-ridden wannabe bloggers with politcally correct (or worse) agendas.

Second, while I've suffered the effects of this disease for a number of years, I only recently received the diagnosis about five months ago.  I thought I was ready for it -- but you find, with any chronic disease, that you're never ready for the day-to-day struggle you're faced with.  For the rest of your life.  So I need to use this as an open journal, an outlet, a place for me to scream and cuss and shout and cry.  Hopefully, all my fussing will help bring healing not only for me, but for others as well.


Lastly, I hope to educate people -- friends, family, and strangers alike -- about what fibromyalgia is, and more importantly, just what the hell does it feel like to live with this disease everyday?


Should be a helluva ride.  Strap in and hang on.

Thanks for reading.

Jason

7 comments:

  1. Let me know what you think -- is the font easy to read? Color scheme okay? Does it make you want to come back?

    Most importantly, please, please, please comment. My hope is that this blog can become a community of friends -- healers, if you will -- that can enrich each others' lives through the journey fibro has brought to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I kinda miss the xanga days too. As much as I'd like to say that I write for myself and don't need an audience, I do need an audience. And comments. Despite its numerous (eventually fatal) flaws, xanga did manage to give you that, at least some of the time. Anyway, looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey man, love the blog :) its amazing how much writing can purify the mind and soul. I hope you find healing through shared words with others and maximum growth on your journey.

    ps. I'm linking you on my blog!
    --Kita

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jess: You're right. Xanga days were something magical. I'm hoping to recapture that magic and perhaps light it with something new here.

    @Kita: Ah, yes, the power of words. Something I had dimly forgotten but never quite let go of. Thanks for the link. I shall do the same for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason; looks good. Good font too.

    Thanks for inviting us along on the ride.

    -Trish

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally forgot about Xanga! Man, that was a good blog, especially the nights you and I would sit up blasting Calvinists.

    Font size could be bigger, but I need new glasses.

    Oh, when Trish commented, the little word code she had to type to prove she wasn't a bot said "IMPENUS".

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Trish: My pleasure. Really, it's my honor that all of you choose to go the journey with me.

    @Nathan: LMAO. And yes, I do miss the xanga days. Perhaps this blog (I hope) will evolve to include more topics than fibro, but for now, it's where I gotta write about it.

    ReplyDelete